Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Good Friday being a strict day of fasting and consuming of vegan food only, this BLT-inspired sandwich came together easily and quickly. Mustard (any kind as long as it's dairy-free) can replace vegan mayonnaise if you prefer. As we were enjoying our new sandwich creation, Mr. Cookgirl suggested next time stirring in a little bit of Tabasco 'Chipotle" sauce to the mayo; or maybe substitute creamy horseradish...?
- focaccia bread (enough for 2 sandwiches)
- vegan mayonnaise, for spreading
- 3 -4 slices tempeh bacon, strips (store bought such as Lifelight brand 'Fakin' Bacon or homemade ( Smoky Tempeh Bacon)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced red bell pepper (In lieu of tomatoes which taste terrible this time of year. Use *fresh toms* when they are in season)
- loose leaf lettuce, of choice (we tried mixed spring greens and some micro greens)
- fresh cilantro, minced
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Slice the foccacia in half and toast or (pan) grill if desired.
- Spread one slice of the focaccia with the vegan mayonnaise. Add 1 1/2-2 slices tempeh bacon per sandwich followed by the bell pepper, lettuce, cilantro and cracked black pepper.
- Place the other slice on top and cut in half.
This made a great supper! I used whole grain bread(but wished I had foccacia), regular mayo and made the smoky tempeh bacon. I used tomatoes and red leaf lettuce. The cilantro was a nice touch too. Thanks! Made for Vegetarian Swap March 2013.