Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
We all like these except my DH who thinks veggie burgers are a sin.
- 2 teaspoons bulgur wheat
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Add the boiling water to the bulger wheat in a small bowl and let sit for about 1 hour.
- Steam the quartered mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- Steam the onions for 10 minutes.
- Keep mushrooms and onion seperate.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the oats and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain excess water from oats and bulger.
- Combine the grains with the mushrooms, rice, cheeses and spices in a food processor and pulse 5 times or until ingredients are chopped fine but NOT pureed.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and add the steamed onion and cornstarch, mix well.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Lightly oil a skillet.
- Form mixture into patties and brown in skillet on both sides and remove to baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning half way through baking.
- These can be frozen after cooled.
My first success at making veggie burgers (after many failed attempts!) They didn't taste exactly like "Gardenburgers", but they are definitely very tasty veggie burgers. I didn't have bulgur wheat, so I used a little extra brown rice. I don't know if that altered the taste any, but it seemed to work well. Also, I must have made my burgers a little smaller because I got 9 burgers out of this recipe. Next time I think I will double this and freeze a batch. I used cooking spray on a good, non-stick skillet and on the baking sheet, and had no probs. with sticking. Thanks Di!:)
omg! This is perfect! i cannot believe how close this is the the "Original" Gardenburger. Yay!