Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
The Gambia, officially the Republic of The Gambia, is the smallest country on mainland Africa. They love their lemon ginger tea, nice and spicy and sweet! They have good reason to love it, it's so good, like sunshine on a rainy day good! Warning, you must like ginger to enjoy this recipe. Adapted from Global Table Adventure.
- Peel and grate fresh ginger root (a little skin doesn’t matter, it will be strained). Add to a small pot with sugar, lemons and water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat.
- Let steep for 15 minutes to 1 hour, as desired.
- Strain the mixture.
- Add strained liquid to a pitcher and fill it the rest of the way with ice. This will cool it down and dilute it some.
- Serve over more ice, diluted with more water, to taste.
- Spicy hot and icy cold, heavenly!