1/2 Photos of The Full Monty Cristo (Lower Fat)
If you've got a hankering for a Monte Cristo but don't want to be full-figured, here's your compromise. Go whole hog for this version which is packed with protein but lower in fat because it's not deep-fried. A tasty breakfast,lunch or even dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 4 slices bread (sourdough is delicious)
- non-fat cooking spray
- 2 slices low-fat ham
- 2 slices lean turkey breast
- 2 slices reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- 1Stir the honey and mustard together in a small bowl.
- 2Make two sandwiches: line up four slices of bread and spread 1/4 of the honey mustard on each slice; on two of the slices, place one piece each of ham, turkey and cheese (trim to fit on top of the bread and not hanging over), then top each meat-covered slice with one of the other slices of bread, honey-mustard side facing into the meat. (O.K., you know how to make a sandwich by instinct - it's easier to do than explain.).
- 3Pour the milk in a large measuring cup and add the eggs and brandy; whisk together until the eggs are fully beaten.
- 4Place the sandwiches in a rectangular casserole dish; pour the egg mixture over the top of the sandwiches,then flip over the sandwiches - moving them around the dish as necessary so the liquid gets absorbed on both sides.
- 5Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, and spray with non-fat cooking spray; cook sandwiches 3-4 minutes on each side or until egg mixture is cooked through and bread is turning golden brown; remove from skillet and turn off heat.
- 6Cut each sandwich in half diagonally; dust with powdered sugar and serve with warm raspberry preserves.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Full Monty Cristo (Lower Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 245.0 mg
- Sodium 1189.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 29.9 g
- Protein 29.8 g