Recipe by Amberngriffinco
This was posted about 10?15? years ago in a ladies magazine and I kept all of The Frugal Gourmet's Recipes. Jeff Smith aka The Frugal Gourmet recently died. He had his own cooking show on PBS and his recipes were fantastic! Hearty Meatloaf with a creamy gravy that is fantastic over the loaf and of course the mashed potatoes! Freezes WELL and is great the next day! *MY notes: I find using 1/3 beef, 1/3 ground turkey & 1/3 ground pork works really well here too **
Top Review by Baker
I give this meatloaf three stars (maybe three and a half). While the recipe was good and easy, the leftovers look rather gray and unappetizing. The taste was good and I ended up baking it in a square pyrex baking dish because I had a little extra gr. beef and I wanted to cook it all. I liked the idea of mixing everything into the sour cream and then adding the meat. Made it easy. The texture of the loaf was good. It cooked faster in the square glass dish (about 1 hour). Now for the gravy. It was too sour tasting for us. We ate it but would make it just the way the packed says (omit the sour cream). To improve this recipe, I'd probably add some paprika (maybe 1/2 tsp. and about 1/4 cup ketchup in place of some of the sr. cream in the meat mixture. It will give it a little color instead of turning out a gray slab that looks like a vegan's nightmare. I do love the frugal gourmet and his recipes and this is not too bad but the look is what needs improvement not the taste here. Omit the sour cream from the gravy and your family will enjoy this recipe. It was a tender and moist recipe.
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (3/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- hot mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl combine eggs, 1/2 C of the sour cream and milk; stir in bread crumbs, onion, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Put into 9x5x3 loaf pan or shape into that size and place in 12x7 1/2 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 1 1/4 hrs or till meat thermometer registers 170 degrees.
- Let cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, for the gravy, in medium pan stir together the remaining sour cream and dry gravy mix.
- Add water as called for on pkg.
- Cook according to pkg directions,.
- Slice meat loaf and serve wih the mashed potatoes and gravy.