I couldn't believe that it was my first time making cupcakes--these turned out absolutely perfect. They are light and fluffy and just utterly gorgeous. If heaven has a taste, I'm sure this is it. I used "Fluffy White Frosting" from recipezaar, but honestly, these are perfect by themselves. [from crazyaboutcupcakes.com] NB: the directions call for an electric mixer but i don't own one, i did all the beating by hand and it was just fine.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line cupcake pans with liners.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed beat the butter until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk until combined.
- In a small bowl with a clean mixer on high speed beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula stir a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 15–20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.