Recipe by Sharon123
We are not jerks (no matter what people say!)--we're just Fantabulously Friendly Foodie Floozies! We FlooZaarinas threw this together for the Island Jerk Challenge in Zaar World Tour 3! Feel free to use whichever vegetables you'd like and place on a platter or layer on as a sandwich. This easy recipe goes great with meat; keep things simple and cook it all together on the grill! Remembering Amy takes the sugar-she's just so sweet! Auntie Jan Christo is our onion person while Chef at Heart is our allspicey chef. Kim D. has a garden full of cherry tomatoes. Then there's Sharon123----the corny one in our little kitchen! Dienia B. claims that she's a little acid/lime sometimes, and Mulligan needs the garlic for her vampire-movie-loving hubby. Heydarl chose soy sauce since she loves Asian cooking & uses it a lot. Meanwhile (like most of us) Debber needs more thyme!
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
This is my first experience making jerk anything, and what a yummy way to start. It came together very easily. I added two peeled and diced sweet potatoes to the veggie mixture, and roasted it all in the oven -- it's winter in Australia. It gave the kitchen a wonderful perfume, but the allspice was an overpowering flavour for me. In future I'd cut back to a teaspoon. The heat was perfect. Thanks Floozies for a jerk with flair. Made and enjoyed for Zaar World Tour.
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded (or other milder chile such as jalapeno for less heat)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ears corn
- 8 small portabella mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into quarters (or eighths)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, quartered
- lime wedge
- 4 hoagie rolls (optional) or 4 French bread (optional)
- mayonnaise (optional)
- 4 -8 slices provolone cheese (or other cheese of your choice) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the Jerk Paste:.
- Combine the scallions, garlic, chile, olive oil, sugar, soy sauce, thyme, allspice and cinnamon in a food processor and process until you have a paste.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill. Use a vegetable grill rack if you have one.
- Peel back the husks from the corn cobs and remove the silks. Brush the jerk paste onto the ears. Bring the husks back over the cobs and secure with kitchen twine. Skewer the mushrooms and cherry tomatoes and brush with the paste. Toss the zucchini and bell peppers with the remaining paste.
- Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender and well-browned, 15-25 minutes for the corn, 10-15 minutes for the onion, and about 5 minutes for the tomatoes and zucchini. Remove the vegetables as they are done and keep them warm.
- Slather mayonnaise on each side of hoagie rolls, fill with vegetables of choice, place provolone cheese on top, place top bun on cheese and dig in!
- Or arrange vegetables on a large platter, garnish with lime wedges, and serve. Enjoy! And don't forget to invite all your friendly floozie friends!
- For Vegan omit the mayo and the cheese.