Recipe by HEP MEP
This was the first chili recipe my husband and I tried,back in 1985,and ate it for years.It came from an old cooking show called Cooking Now, with Chef Franco Palumbo.(I'm really dating myself here!)We eventually ditched on the stew meat when we found we could get coarse-ground chuck at a local butchers. It's very easy,and very tasty...hey, I'll have to try it again! (We used to chill it by putting the pot outside- covered,of course!)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 lbs beef round steak or 2 lbs beef chuck steaks or 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 -2 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in hot oil- remove.
- Saute onion,peppers, and garlic in remaining oil.
- Add beef and stir in remaining ingredients- heat to boiling,then simmer, partially covered until meat is tender,about 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim surface grease or chill several hours to remove grease.
- Reheat until warm and bubbling.