Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a simple easy recipe to make soy milk. This preparation is affordable and convenient for many families to add to other infant formula recipes. Soy products, especially commercial products, have proven difficult to digest for some infants and they can even cause allergies, so either be sure your children can handle it or use other milk substitutes.
- Rinse 2-1/2 cups whole soybeans and soak in 5 cups cool water for 8-10 hours.
- Blend 1 cup soybeans with 2-1/2 cups hot water at high speed for about 1 minute, or until beans are finely ground.
- Repeat until all beans are blended.
- Put in a large pot over medium-high flame. When soy starts to boil, turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour soy through cheesecloth, twisting pulp in cloth to squeeze out milk.
- Repeat process, pouring 2 cups boiling water in with remaining pulp and straining again.
- The soy pulp can be used to make casserole or other dishes. I may try to use as a meat substitute also.