1/1 Photo of The Farm Cafe's Farmhouse Veggie Burger
The minute I saw this on Foot network I said I gotta try this! Gotten off the Farm Cafe's(Portland, Oregon) website after seeing it on The Best Thing I Ever Ate. It's different from the other recipe posted here. Enjoy! Thanks Duff for pointing this recipe out for us! One of the commenters on the site said they used feta instead of cheddar and another goat cheese, so don't be afraid to experiment! I also like to roast the eggplant instead of sauteeing. To freeze, wrap in wax paper, then plastic wrap, then store in plastic container. To use, thaw overnight in refrigerator, and cook as directed. One commenter said she replaced the eggplant with mushooms and another replaced with summer squash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole eggplants, peeled, diced into 1-inch cubes (about 1 pound each, you can leave peel on)
- 14.79 ml butter (or margarine)
- 2-3 scallions, chopped fine
- 14.79 ml parsley, miniced (also good with cilantro)
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese (medium reccomended-can use goat cheese or feta)
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs (one reviewer used gluten free cracker crumbs)
- 3.69 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic, minced
- 1.23 ml salt
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1Sauté eggplant in 1 tbls. butter on low heat until very soft, about 15 minutes. I actually ended up adding a touch more butter so they wouldn't stick.
- 2Mix together eggplant and all the rest of the ingredients, except oil, let rest for ½ hour in refrigerator (or alternately, place the eggplant, mixed with 1-2 tbls. olive oil, on a baking sheet and roast about 15-20 minutes on 400*F. or till soft. Then mix with rest of ingredients-except oil- and continue with directions given).
- 3Form into 4-6 equal patties about an inch thickThe amount of patties will depend on the size of the eggplants).
- 4In a sauté pan, heat olive oil until hot, then fry patties till dark brown, about 5 minutes each side.
- 5Serve on whole grain sandwich buns with caramelized onions, spicy brown mustard, roasted red peppers and mix of baby salad greens(or spinach). Enjoy!
- 7I halved the recipe using a 1 pound eggplant and came out with 3 nice size patties. I did use 1 scallion and a handful of chives. I used just a little more cheese than called for(I used a mixture of cheddar and jack). Yummy!
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Farm Cafe's Farmhouse Veggie Burger
Serving Size: 1 (1232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.4
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 375.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 6.2 g