Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This famous fruitcake recipe by Fanny Farmer goes back years, I made it recently using the brandied fruit cake option as stated on the bottom of the recipe and I strongly recommend to use that method as the brandy will strongly intensify the flavor and preserve the cake, this fruit cake is wonderful and I plan on making it again.
Top Review by NIcmic
I tried this recipe for the first time for Christmas 2012 -- and just realized I didn't review it last year! It was my first attempt at a fruitcake, and this was excellent! I tried it both ways, brandied and not, and both turned out very well. My friend's mother is in her 90's, going strong, and is still an excellent baker; I took some to them to try (from the not brandied loaf since she is tee-total) and they raved and asked me for the recipe! She said she's never had a dark fruitcake she liked as well as this, and prefers it to her own light fruitcake recipe. Which I must say is delicious too!<br/><br/>So if you are looking for a wonderful fruitcake recipe for the holidays (that is also simple to make) this is it! Thanks Kittencal!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature) or 1⁄2 cup shortening (room temperature)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup small candied fruit
- 1 cup candied cherry (use red and green)
- 1⁄2 cup small pieces candied citron peel
- 1 cup chopped dates (can use raisins)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Line the pans with foil, then butter the foil.
- Cream the butter or shortening.
- Add in brown sugar; beat until light.
- Add in lemon extract and eggs and beat well.
- Stir in molasses and blend to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the flour with baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, mace, cloves and salt; beat into the creamed mixture until combined.
- Add in milk; beat until combined.
- Stir in the candied fruit, candied cherries, candied citron, dates or raisins and nuts; mix well.
- Transfer/divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until the loaves test done.
- Turn out onto racks to cool.
- When completely cooled wrap well and store in an airtight container.
- BRANDIED FRUIT CAKE OPTION; soak two large pieces of cheesecloth in brandy.
- Wrap each fruit cake in the cheesecloth covering all sides, then wrap well in foil.
- Moisten the cheesecloth with additional brandy every few days for about a week.