1 hr 15 mins
This famous fruitcake recipe by Fanny Farmer goes back years, I made it recently using the brandied fruit cake option as stated on the bottom of the recipe and I strongly recommend to use that method as the brandy will strongly intensify the flavor and preserve the cake, this fruit cake is wonderful and I plan on making it again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature) or 1/2 cup shortening (room temperature)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup small candied fruit
- 1 cup candied cherry (use red and green)
- 1/2 cup small pieces candied citron peel
- 1 cup chopped dates (can use raisins)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Butter two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- 3Line the pans with foil, then butter the foil.
- 4Cream the butter or shortening.
- 5Add in brown sugar; beat until light.
- 6Add in lemon extract and eggs and beat well.
- 7Stir in molasses and blend to combine.
- 8In a small bowl combine the flour with baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, mace, cloves and salt; beat into the creamed mixture until combined.
- 9Add in milk; beat until combined.
- 10Stir in the candied fruit, candied cherries, candied citron, dates or raisins and nuts; mix well.
- 11Transfer/divide the batter between the two pans.
- 12Bake for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until the loaves test done.
- 13Turn out onto racks to cool.
- 14When completely cooled wrap well and store in an airtight container.
- 15BRANDIED FRUIT CAKE OPTION; soak two large pieces of cheesecloth in brandy.
- 16Wrap each fruit cake in the cheesecloth covering all sides, then wrap well in foil.
- 17Moisten the cheesecloth with additional brandy every few days for about a week.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Fanny Farmer Dark Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (1245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2231.0
- Calories from Fat 846
- Total Fat 94.0 g
- Saturated Fat 35.7 g
- Cholesterol 316.5 mg
- Sodium 1469.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 334.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 202.7 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel