Recipe by Pardeemom
These golden cookies are very crisp, very light (yet still sturdy enough to decorate), and not too sweet, which makes them the ideal candidate for a flavored icing or glaze.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together; beating until fluffy. Beat in the egg until smooth, then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the butter mixture, mixing until the dough is smooth. Refrigerate the dough for 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll to 1/4 inch thick. This dough is fairly soft, so put a piece of plastic wrap over it while you roll it out. Cut out shapes with your favorite cutters and put on cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, until set and just slightly colored around the edges. Remove from the oven, let them cool on sheet for 2 minutes to firm up, then transfer to a rack to cool.