Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion; I don’t use the nutmeg or lemon oil b/c I prefer plain vanilla flavored sugar cookies.
Top Review by weekend cooker
It amazes me .. every time I make cookies, the kitchen has a wonderful aroma, and the kids get curious. This was no exception. As for the cookies they made for great soft, cookies. I used nutmeg, as an option, and had some red and green colored sparkles, that is what I used and they were disappesring by the minute. Made for a great snack during the game, and an after lunch snack. Made for PRMR tag..
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or 1/4 t. lemon oil, also optional) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup coarse sugar or 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for coating
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°; lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- In a big bowl, beat the butter, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, nutmeg (if using), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and egg together.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add coarse sugar to a shallow dish; drop the dough by the tablespoonful into the sugar, rolling the balls to coat them.
- Place them on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges are just barely beginning to brown; they will look soft.
- If you bake the cookies too long, they’ll be crunchy, not chewy.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.