Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion; I don’t use the nutmeg or lemon oil b/c I prefer plain vanilla flavored sugar cookies.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or 1/4 t. lemon oil, also optional) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup coarse sugar or 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, for coating
- Preheat oven to 375°; lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- In a big bowl, beat the butter, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, nutmeg (if using), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and egg together.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add coarse sugar to a shallow dish; drop the dough by the tablespoonful into the sugar, rolling the balls to coat them.
- Place them on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges are just barely beginning to brown; they will look soft.
- If you bake the cookies too long, they’ll be crunchy, not chewy.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
It amazes me .. every time I make cookies, the kitchen has a wonderful aroma, and the kids get curious. This was no exception. As for the cookies they made for great soft, cookies. I used nutmeg, as an option, and had some red and green colored sparkles, that is what I used and they were disappesring by the minute. Made for a great snack during the game, and an after lunch snack. Made for PRMR tag..
Absolutely fabulous cookie! I left out the nutmeg as I dislike it intensely, and next time i will cut the flour down by 1/4 cup, as they will be much easier to shape.Excellent flavor, and I recommend adding either currants or raisins, whatever you have in your cupboard. No nuts or choc. chips though. Thankyou for the post.
These are THE best cookies ever, every single time I make them I get asked for the recipe. Fairly simple and very yummy! One of my favorites for sure.