Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I recently had the pleasure of visiting The Empress Hotel in Victoria, BC where they have a lovely tea room. This is one of the recipes used over the years at their Afternoon Tea.
- 2 lbs flour, and
- 4 ounces flour
- 9 ounces sugar
- 9 ounces butter (hard)
- 2 ounces baking powder
- 6 ounces raisins
- 6 eggs
- 16 ounces whipping cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (pinch)
- Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add 5 eggs, slowly and separate the 6th egg and add the white into the batter; the yellow half of the 6th egg is used to do the egg wash.
- Add raisins.
- Add cream and mix into a smooth dough.
- Roll out to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired size and shape.
- Egg wash scones and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with clotted cream and jam.
The BEST ever!!! Having worked at the Empress for 5 years I've had many of these in my day...the perfect scone.