Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I needed something elegant and fast for a last minute dinner party. WOW did this go over big! I had these items in the pantry so here is what I did. The presentation made the cake and the cake made the presentation. Simple yet elegant, thus the name. You will need a large glass or crystal bowl to present this in so all the layers are pictured on the table. Actually, it went over so big I now need to make this again for Christmas dessert. Fine by me as it is so simple and yet it looks gorgeous when put together. Have fun with it and add in any other "designs" you would like (green sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles, brandy added into the cherry filling--you get the picture).
- 1 (18 ounce) boxchocolate devil's food cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip (can be light version)
- 1 (28 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- chocolate chips (optional) or chocolate shavings (optional) or shaved almonds (optional) or pecans (optional) or spanish nuts, etc (optional)
- Cook cake according to directions in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Let cool.
- Break cake into pieces 2-3 inches in size.
- Fill bottom of glass bowl with 1/2 of cake.
- Layer on Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Use 3/4 can of cherry pie filling.
- Layer remainder of chocolate cake pieces.
- "Plop" by tablespoons the remainder of Cool Whip/whip cream.
- Teaspoon on remainder of cherry filling.
- Sprinkle with chocolate of choice, nuts, or anything additional you would like to add.
- Serve with a large spoon onto elegant plates although tastes just as good on paper plates.
ABSOLUTELY A GREAT CHOCOLATE FIX that's very nicely presented! I really enjoyed putting this one together! Made it as per the recipe & it was OUTSTANDING! Topped it with shaved dard chocolate AND chopped, toasted almonds! Another time I'd like to try this with a big batch of fudge brownies instead of the devil's food cake, but either way, the recipe is certainly a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my swapmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #33]