Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad from EatingWell Magazine is fairly close to the original from a restaurant in Hollywood, CA, however the blue cheese is optional. Toss your greens with the dressing, then again, drizzle over your completed salad. Serve with some hot, crispy bread and a nice glass of wine to serve as a meal.
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken breast, shredded (1 large breast half, *see Tip)
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and chopped (**see Tip)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Whisk vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl to combine.
- Whisk in oil until combined.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl.
- Add half of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide salad greens among 4 plates.
- Arrange equal portions of chicken, egg, bacon, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and blue cheese (if using) on top of the lettuce.
- Drizzle the salads with the remaining dressing.
- *Tips To poach chicken breast: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- **To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
- Serves 4.
This salad is a nice blend of flavor, color and texture and the dressing is very good in its own right. I gave the blue cheese a try - that flavor is rather assertive, so if you're not a fan, you should skip it or try a different type of cheese - I think lots of other cheeses would work nicely as well, so pick your favorite! Thanks for a nice lunch, Bev!
This was a very good salad. The dressing was good but not a hit with everyone in the family. A great summer meal. Thanks!