Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
as a college student, i have three goals in mind when it comes to food: cheap, easy, and scrumptious. it doesn't get much better than this. try add-ins like oregano, thyme, and basil. or a pinch of sugar and cinnamon.
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water (about 105 degrees)
- in a large bowl mix together flour, salt, and yeast, and form a well in the bottom.
- pour in water and add the oil.
- with a wooden spoon slowly pull the flour into the liquid until it's fully adsorbed.
- work it into a ball with your hands and place on a floured work surface.
- the dough should be tacky but not hopelessly sticky. sprinkle flour on the work surface and hands if needed; continue to knead the dough for 5-10 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic.
- rinse and grease the large bowl, then place the dough back in it. cover lightly with damp cloth or plastic wrap. let rise in warm place (i usually turn on my oven and place the dough on the stove above it) until double in size (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- turn dough back out onto floured surface. punch down and kneed slightly to work out air bubbles.
- divide the dough in half, form round loaves and place on lightly oiled pans. preheat oven to 375 and let dough rise 20 more minutes.
- bake 30-40 min until crusts golden. you can also throw 1/2 C of water on the bottom coils 10 minutes in for "crustier" bread.
THIS BREAD IS AMAZING!!!! I have been making it for over 6 months now on a weekly basis for my family and friends. Since it makes two loaves I normally share a loaf but it also freezes well. My husband just loves it and so do I and each time I share with someone new they immediately call me and tell me how delicious and light the bread is. The bonus is that it is vegan and healthy!! I love it toasted in the morning with vegan margarine. <br/> I had been making the recipe in my bread machine and simply put the machine on the dough setting. Once the time is up I divide it into two parts and place in greased bread loaf pans, cover with a damp cloth and let rise an additional 1 - 1/12 hours in a warm location. After that I bake the bread in a 375 degree oven for 22 mins. I have also added 2 tablespoons of raw sugar to the recipe.<br/>My bread machine broke last week so I have decided to make it by hand as the recipe calls for. Very easy to make and just as delicious!! So happy to have found this recipe, thanks for posting!!
This was really easy to make and quite delicious! Next time, I might try adding some honey to the warm water/oil mixture for a sweeter taste.
MUST BAKE! This actually is the easiest, simplest bread recipe ever. I am addicted and have made it multiple times this week. I have made plain, wholemeal, raisin and cinnamon, herb and garlic.. just fold in your extra ingredients once you have split the dough in half.