Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This takes less than 20 minutes to make from start to finish, serve with rice and a salad. My kids also like this wrapped in a tortilla.
- 2 chicken breasts (500 g - 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 425 g refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot, you choose)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Chop the chicken into even peices (cubes or stir fry strips). Lay the chicken out on a single layer and sprinkle both sides of all the chicken with the cumin.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and add the chicken. Cook over a medium heat and brown the chicken and let it cook through, the smaller the pieces the faster is cooks.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the beans, salsa and water.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
Very good chicken dish that I served with another of cookingpompom's recipes, Baked Mexican Rice - Vegetarian #484310. Instead of chicken breast I used tenderloins that I cut into bite size pieces and used mild salsa. This is a quick and easy meal to make and tastes great. Made and reviewed for ZWT8 - 2010.
I looked at this recipe and went - duh, chicken, what a great idea! - change ground beef for chicken and you have my recipe for burritos filling. A flour tortilla, a thin line of filling, cheese and wrap it all up in a paper towel - zap in the microwave to melt the cheese and you have a meal. Freezes well as well. Now back to this really quick and delish recipe. I made and then froze the filling mixture so I can use for several lunches this upcoming week. I can then take a pre-measured amount along with a tortilla or two to work and have a filling and easy lunch or I might take it along with rice for less work. Thanks for offering such a great dish. Made for ZWT 8.