Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This almost doesn't justify being called a recipe with only a few ingredients. However, made in not a lot longer than it takes to open and reheat a can, it will not disappoint
- Wash thoroughly the broccoli. You will need 600G so remove the stems and just use the heads.
- Chop the onion.
- In a saucepan cook the broccoli and onion together with the stock cube and the water for 15 minutes Keep the lid on whilst you do this. (you can get this cooking time down to 10 mins if you chop the broccoli quite small).
- When the broccoli and onion are very tender add the low fat milk.
- Then blend the soup thoroughly using a blender. I sometimes do this immediately but, from a safety point of view, its probably best to let the soup cool then re-heat.
- You will be surprized how creamy this soup is, even using only low fat milk, check seasoning and serve.
- Serve the soup however you like -- we like it with toasted almonds on top, it is also good with grated cheese piled on the top. Another good combination is a large teaspoon of cream cheese dropped into the centre and some chives. Last time I served it to guests I sprinkled stilton cheese and croutons over the hot soup and it was enjoyed by all.
- However you serve it, for extremely basic ingredients, it makes a tasty affordable soup.
This is so similar to the broccoli soup my mom made when I was growing up, which is what I was looking for! I used broccoli stalks instead of florets becuase that's what my mom used to do, so I had to cook them longer and it makes the soup less creamy, but delicious all the same! Thanks for posting!