Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Oh LORD, have mercy! LOL! This stuff is the kind-of snack you sit down in front of the tv with and you look down and it's all gone! The best part about this recipe is (other than the end product) the fact no candy thermometer is necessary.
Top Review by pmrealty
I have also made this,however instead of popcorn (hate those little shells) i used regular cherios, corn checks, & rice checks, you can add peanuts too. It just stays crispy & crunchy.
- 2⁄3 cup unpopped popcorn
- 2 tablespoons oil (for popping)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200°.
- Spray your largest cookie sheets.
- Pop the popcorn in the oil and set aside. I do this in two batches. Place in a very large bowl. (Plastic bowls work really well because the caramel won't stick; you could also spray the bowl with a bit of Pam).
- Over medium heat in a heavy saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar, salt and syrup. Bring to a rolling boil.
- When it starts to boil, boil a full 5 minutes stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. (I used a plastic spatula and ended up sacrificing it)
- Remove from the heat and add the soda. Pour caramel directly on the popcorn and stir to coat completely.
- Pour popcorn onto the sheets and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool and break into pieces. Store in zip-top bags.