Recipe by bunkie68
This is my favorite soup from a restaurant in Waxahachie, Texas called The Dove's Nest. The recipe comes from the restaurant's cookbook.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
My husband and I love White Chili and this recipe is a good one. It has just the right blend of spices without overdoing it. I served it in big bowls over toasted tortilla chips and topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Hearty, filling, and delicious Tex-Mex flavor. Thanks Bunkie.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes or 2 (10 ounce) cans tomatoes and green chilies, chopped
- 6 tomatillos, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded,minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini or 2 (19 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- fried corn tortilla strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion.
- Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, tomatillos and jalapeno.
- Cook until the tomatillos are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock, green chilies, chicken, oregano, cumin, cilantro, beans and lime juice.
- Cook until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the chili into serving bowls.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and fried tortilla strips.