Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is one of thoes old family traditions. We make them about this time every year so the dried fruits can soak in rum and then we bundle them up in canvas to cure in the shed. Prep time doesnt include soaking times.
- 225 g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon jam
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 250 g dried figs
- 250 g dried apricots
- 250 g dried apples
- 250 g dried orange peel
- 500 g dates
- 500 g sultanas
- 1 liter rum
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons self raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- First chop dates and mix all the fruits together, put them in a large bottle or Jar and pour in the rum untill at the brim. seal up tight and leave for a month.
- Put the boiler on the boil.
- Cream together the butter and sugar then mix in the eggs one at a time, then the jame and next the carb soda.
- In a seperate bowl: Sift together the flour with the spices and salt.
- Spoon the flour mix one spoonfull at a time into the butter mix. When all is combined add in the bread crumbs.
- Mix thoroughly. Now add the Fruit and mix untill it is all coated and appears smooth and glossy. SHould stay slightly peaked when you pull the spoon out.
- Time to put the mix into a cloth.
- Place the cloth in the boiling water to scald it for 5 minutes. Have a colander and tongs handy as you want to ensure that when you take the cloth out you layer it evenly into the colander.
- Sprinkle flour over the cloth in a thick coating: this makes the skin of the pudding when its cooked.
- Scrape the mixture into the cloth. When all the mixture is inside take the corners of the cloth and get someone to tie the string about 2cms away from the top of where the pudding forms. This allows for it to grow when you cook it.
- Cook the pudding for 4 hours in the boiler ensuring that the water is constantly topped up. Then hang the pudding untill you need it. It will reheat when you put it back on the boil for a further 2 hours. (you dont need to cure it for months on end, 4 days is the minimum hang time).
- To serve: Put the hot pudding in the colander and allow to drain. Cut the String and turn back the cloth. Put platter on the pudding, hold the colander and cloth as you turn the lot over.
- Pull the cloth back slowly.
- Serve with steaming hot vanilla custard.