Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
From The Food Network magazine, November 2009. The Deen Brothers.
Top Review by JGsped
Looks like the Deen Brothers swiped this from a 1983 Bon Appetite recipe that Leslie in Texas posted on this site. Exactly the same recipe except the Deens put the onions in with the egg mixture instead of the corn meal mixture, and since they go together in the end . . .
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a 24-cup mini muffin pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the onion, milk, eggs and butter. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until the flour mixture is just moistened.
- Spoon 1 T of the batter into each of the prepared mini muffin pan cups. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the hush puppies are firm to the touch and golden brown around the edges.