Recipe by Stella Mae
This recipe comes from an old Vincent Price cookbook. It is so elegant, so dark, so rich -- definitely for dark and handsome men as Mary Price declared.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons rum or 3 tablespoons brandy or 3 tablespoons very strong coffee
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -6 sprigs mint (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chocolate and milk in the top of a double boiler and stir over hot water until smooth.
- Blend in liquor and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add salt, cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, and continue beating until mixture holds a stiff peak.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks until thick and pale, and then beat in remaining sugar.
- Gently stir egg yolk and sugar into the chocolate, then add the vanilla.
- Carefully fold in egg whites.
- Pour chocolate mixture into individual moulds or ramekins and chill.
- Garnish each ramekin with a sprig of mint, if desired.