Recipe by 2Bleu
A hearty sandwich that makes a great meal for the entire family. Especially as a game night treat. We have even made them using a 5" mini springform pan to serve just the two of us.
- 32 ounces frozen bread dough, thawed (2 loaves)
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 (14 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar marinated roasted red peppers, drained (strips)
- 6 ounces pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces salami, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1 egg (plus 1 tbsp water to make an eggwash)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut 1 bread loaf in half crosswise. Roll onto a lightly-floured surface into a 10-inch circle. Cover, and set aside.
- Press together remaining 1 and 1/2 dough loaves, and roll out onto a lightly floured surface into a 12- inch circle. Fit dough into a 9" springform pan, allowing edges to overhang.
- Press spinach and red pepper strips between layers of paper towels, and set aside.
- In a nonstick sauté pan with a bit of oil, saute mushrooms for about 8 minutes; drain.
- Layer half of salami, mushrooms, and olives in dough-lined pan; top with half of cheese slices.
- Layer with half of the ham, spinach, pepper strips, remaining salami, remaining ham, and then artichokes. Top with remaining cheese slices.
- Stir together egg and water. Brush on overhanging pastry edges.
- Top torte with remaining pastry round. Fold overhanging edges over top pastry, crimping as necessary, and press to seal. Brush top with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 on bottom oven rack 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and cover with aluminum foil, if necessary, to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 15 to 20 more minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan, and cut into wedges.