1 hr 15 mins
This is a long-time favorite recipe of our Lancaster County, PA family passed down from my mom. She gets requests for it all the time and has to make double or triple this amount now whenever she makes it so everyone has some to take along home too. For me, it's a true comfort food if there ever was one! We always serve it over toast and/or homefried potatoes. My dad refer's to it as S.O.S. from his days in the service. (Recipe makes about 4 servings for our hungry family but it freezes very well so any leftovers won't go to waste.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in 2 quart (non-stick) sauce pan or larger.
- 2Shred dried beef by hand into small pieces.
- 3Add dried beef to melted butter and cook over medium-high heat until edges curl (about 10 minutes but watch carefully-don't burn it).
- 4Stir in flour and mix thoroughly.
- 5Add milk, reduce heat to medium low and continue stirring frequently until mixture is smooth & bubbly. (Depending on how thick you like it, it may take from 20 minutes to 1 hours to achieve desired consistency).
- 6When it's as thick as you'd like, bring to a boil, stirring constantly and boil 1 minute.
- 7Remove from heat and serve over toast and/or home fried potatoes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " The" Creamed Dried Beef/Chipped Beef Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.5
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.6 mg
- Sodium 1889.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 28.1 g