Recipe by HappySquirrelsInHawaii
My husband just invented this recipe yesterday (3-09-05) because we have a vegetarian teenager staying with us while his father is in China. I tasted one and loved it so much that he made some for me last night and again today for lunch! I love satisfying food, and it is surprising how tasty these are. Kids and adults should love these! The teen who is staying with us happily ate them all up. I love dipping them in hot sauce and sour cream and I am sure they would go great with guacamole. They are so easy that they could readily be made while camping. They would also make great (and inexpensive) appetizers while watching sporting events or for almost any party. Have fun! You'll be surprised at how fast, easy and delicious they are!
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package flour tortillas (10 inch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canola oil (for frying...less if you wish..about 1/4 inch deep in your pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place Refried Beans, Spaghetti Sauce and Hot Chili Sauce into medium sized mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Cut Flour Tortillas into approximately 3” x 4” squares (cut down the middle and then square up so you get 2 squares per tortilla).
- Place approximately 1 Tablespoon of the mixture along the long side of each tortilla square and then roll up and seal.
- Each roll should be approximately 1/2” thick and about 4” long.
- Place oil (about 1/4" deep) in the bottom of a skillet and add salt.
- Heat oil fairly hot (deep fry heat) so that it is ready to fry.
- (Watch carefully! If the oil smokes, it is too hot-- take the pan off the heat, turn the heat down and try again in a few minutes).
- You can test by trying to cook one taquito first-- it should not burn quickly, but should turn brown within a few minutes.
- When the oil is ready, place rolled tortilla’s in skillet.
- Fry for a few minutes then turn (when bottom side is browned).
- The Taquitos should be golden brown all over.
- Remove carefully from pan and repeat until all are cooked.
- Serve hot with sour cream, salsa, or other toppings and dips to suit.