Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This cake is not for the faint of heart. My friends and I created this during an all-night party where we wanted to stay up. It gets stronger in the fridge, so watch out. The grounds add a subtle crunch.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box chocolate cake
- 2 cups strong coffee
- egg, as indicated on the box
- oil, as indicated on the box
- 1⁄4 cup dry ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 (16 ounce) can sour cream frosting
- Preheat the oven.
- Grease pan and 'flour' with coffee grounds.
- Measure out coffee in the amount of water indicated on the box.
- Save the rest of the coffee for later.
- Prepare cake as per box instructions but substitute coffee for water.
- While cake cools, warm frosting and mix with the remaining coffee, but don't make it too runny.
- Frost cake.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Wow!!!! Where was this in college??!!! I used Betty Crocker tripple choc cake mix (it's the one with mini choc chips) and added 3 tbs of instant esspresso mix to buttercream frosting, then sprinkled the top with chopped nuts and a handfull of mini choc chips...... It looked pretty neat, but served chilled, this is a killer cake!! THANKS!!!