Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Out of this world yeast roll with an orange glaze from The Club, Birmingham, Alabama. The recipe came from The Year of Alabama Food, www.touralabama.com If you want to win friends and influence people, serve these rolls. If you over bake the rolls the sugar/coconut/orange rind mixture will burn. Substitute plain fat free yogurt for the sour cream to reduce the fat content. Either way, this roll that will melt in your mouth.
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water, about 125 degrees F
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon granted orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add the next five ingredients, mix well. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Mix well. Place dough in a greased bowl turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Combine sugar, coconut and orange rind. Set aside. Punch down dough. Knead until smooth and elastic on a floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle coconut and orange rind mixture over top. Roll up from long side. Cut into 1 inch pieces, turn on end and place into a greased muffin tin. Cover with wax paper and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven at 250 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes. Do not brown. While still warm drizzle with the glaze.
I had these rolls at The Club today at lunch. They were so yummy!
After the recommended baking time, the rolls were still raw/gooey in the center. I put the oven temp. up to 300 and watched them like a hawk, until they tested done, with minimal browning--probably another 7-10 min.
The Club Orange Rolls area absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Tamela