Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This has got to be the BEST chocolate cake that I have ever had! I am a sucker for cake, especially chocolate cakes, so I am always trying new recipes to find the ultimate cake. So far, this has been the absolute most mouth-watering cake I have had. If you have some extra time, and love cake, this is the perfect recipe! Very impressive looking too!
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box cook-and-serve chocolate pudding or 1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 (F).
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch round layer cake pans; set aside.
- Mix shortening and sugar in large bowl until blended.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, scrapping down sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Stir in sifted cocoa.
- Sift together flour, powder, soda, and salt.
- Alternately stir in sifted ingredients and coffee.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spread batter evenly in both cake pans; bake for 30-35 minutes until firm to touch in center.
- Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire wracks.
- Prepare filling according to package directions; set in refrigerator and allow to thicken (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting:.
- Mix together cream, sugar and cocoa; chill 1 hour.
- Beat until thick.
- Place one layer of cooled cake on serving plate; spread with cooled filling.
- Top filling with second layer of cake.
- Spread frosting on top and sides of cake.
- Chill cake until ready to serve.