Recipe by Bundura
This is a recipe that I got from my friend's mother when I was pregnant with my first child, and craving chicken curry. This is an authentic Desi recipe. Serve with basmati rice or enjoy with bread.
Top Review by spade28
Not to be mean, but yucko! I followed the recip exactly and when it was done all I could taste was salt. Then I noticed that there isn't even any actual curry in the recipe! It took almost everything in my spice rack plus a can of tomatoes to make it edible, but it still wasn't good. If you're looking for a nice Indian curry, this is not the way to go.
- 1 roasting chicken (Washed, Cut up into 16 pieces, Remove Skin and excess fat.)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 small cinnamon stick (I usually use a half of one)
- 4 cloves
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash turmeric, for color
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup fried onions (I like to use the packaged kind)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the Curry by putting all the Curry ingredients in the blender and blending them until they make a smooth sauce. Reserve til needed.
- Heat the oil in a 5 quart pot.
- Toss the chicken, the ginger/garlic paste, and the spices in the pot for about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the Curry on top of the chicken.
- Fill the Blender with 1/2 cup water and stir around to catch any sauce that didn't come out. Then pour the water over the chicken.
- Bring the Curry to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until chicken pieces start to seperate from bones.
- Serve with yogurt and either basmati rice or bread.
- Enjoy :).