1/1 Photo of The Chart House Clam Chowder (Copycat) Including Spice Blend
1 hr 20 mins
From The Cliff House in Ogunquit, Maine, is this wonderful, glorious clam chowder! It is smooth and velvety, and will warm you to the bone! This recipe is so worth making! Even in the desert, where I live it gets cold, and I made this to warm everyone up and it definately did the trick! This is a definate keeper! I hope you will enjoy! The spice blend can be uses for so many things, I make about a triple recipe, and it keeps well in either a zip bag or a container with a tight-fitting lid. Note: If you get all of your ingredients together before you begin, the cooking part is a snap!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice hickory smoked bacon, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoning (see spice blend recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can clams
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced
Ingredients for The Cliff House Spice Blend
- 1Directions for The Chart House Spice Blend:.
- 2Blend ingredients, crushing in a mortar if possible. Store in a resealable plastic bag to refrigerate.
- 3For the Clam Chowder:.
- 4In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, saute bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown.
- 5Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the saute mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add half and half and simmer 20 minutes.
- 6Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams. Serve at once with crackers and warm cornbread.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Chart House Clam Chowder (Copycat) Including Spice Blend
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.1
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 33.5 mg
- Sodium 304.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory smoked bacon