Chef Kate's Note:
In the Garden District, on famous St. Charles Avenue, the Caribbean Room in the Ponchartrain Hotel has been serving wonderful food in a charming atmosphere since 1948. This Red Snapper is a signature dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 lb medium shrimp, raw, peeled, deveined
- 12 large mushroom caps
- 3/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 lb crayfish tail
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 6 (6 ounce) red snapper fillets
- oil, for sauteing
- 1To make the sauce.
- 2In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- 3Add the shrimp and mushroom caps and cook for ten minutes over medium low heat.
- 4Add green onions, crawfish tails, wine, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, pepper and salt, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5As the sauce is cooking.
- 6In a shallow bowl, mix the beaten egg with the milk to create an egg wash.
- 7Place the flour in a second shallow bowl or plate.
- 8Place a large skillet over medium heat and warm the oil.
- 9Dip each fish fillet in the egg wash and dredge in the flour.
- 10Pan fry until a light golden brown, turning once.
- 11Place the fillets on serving plates and top with sauce.
- 12Note: The Caribbean Room serves these with tiny boiled potatoes with parsley.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Caribbean Room's Red Snapper
Serving Size: 1 (511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.0
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 396.3 mg
- Sodium 706.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 77.4 g