Boy, does this sound wickedly rich! I found this just browsing on the web a few months ago, but haven't made it yet...but the time to do so is coming:) The recipe sounds like it will produce "chiffony", light layers, with a thick, sticky, and sweet filling; I guess that means small servings and a full week of brutal exercise to afford the calories:) *The recipe states that the filling needs to chill for 4 hours, so I've included that in the prep time; but maybe you could shave off some of that time by making the filling the night before, especially if you plan to try this during the hectic holiday season!*
- 3 cups finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
PECAN PIE FILLING
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- MAKE THE CAKE: Sprinkle 2 cups of the pecans evenly over the bottoms of 3 buttered 9" round cake pans, shaking to coat both the bottoms and sides of the pans.
- Combine the flour and baking soda in a bowl; mix well.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, blending well after each addition; blend in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, blending well after each addition, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup pecans.
- In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer with clean beaters on medium speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter to lighten it; fold in remaining whites.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350*F.
- for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks; invert onto waxed paper-lined wire racks.
- Brush the tops and sides of the layers with the corn syrup; cool completely.
- MAKE THE FILLING: Whisk together the brown sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, egg yolks, half-and-half, and salt in a heavy 3-quart saucepan until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil for 1 minute, or until the mixture thickens.
- Remove pan from heat; whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper on the surface of the mixture; chill for 4 hours.
- ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Place 1 cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving dish; spread with 1/2 the filling.
- Place the second cake layer, pecan side up, over the filling; spread with the remaining filling.
- Place the third cake layer, pecan side up, on top of the filling.
- Serve with whipped cream; store covered in the refrigerator.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.