1/1 Photo of The Candy Kitchen Pecan Pie Cake
5 hrs 35 mins
Boy, does this sound wickedly rich! I found this just browsing on the web a few months ago, but haven't made it yet...but the time to do so is coming:) The recipe sounds like it will produce "chiffony", light layers, with a thick, sticky, and sweet filling; I guess that means small servings and a full week of brutal exercise to afford the calories:) *The recipe states that the filling needs to chill for 4 hours, so I've included that in the prep time; but maybe you could shave off some of that time by making the filling the night before, especially if you plan to try this during the hectic holiday season!*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 egg whites
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
PECAN PIE FILLING
- 1MAKE THE CAKE: Sprinkle 2 cups of the pecans evenly over the bottoms of 3 buttered 9" round cake pans, shaking to coat both the bottoms and sides of the pans.
- 2Combine the flour and baking soda in a bowl; mix well.
- 3In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- 4Gradually beat in the sugar.
- 5Add the egg yolks, one at a time, blending well after each addition; blend in the vanilla.
- 6Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, blending well after each addition, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- 7Stir in the remaining 1 cup pecans.
- 8In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer with clean beaters on medium speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 9Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter to lighten it; fold in remaining whites.
- 10Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- 11Bake at 350*F.
- 12for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 13Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks; invert onto waxed paper-lined wire racks.
- 14Brush the tops and sides of the layers with the corn syrup; cool completely.
- 15MAKE THE FILLING: Whisk together the brown sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, egg yolks, half-and-half, and salt in a heavy 3-quart saucepan until smooth.
- 16Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil for 1 minute, or until the mixture thickens.
- 17Remove pan from heat; whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- 18Place a sheet of waxed paper on the surface of the mixture; chill for 4 hours.
- 19ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Place 1 cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving dish; spread with 1/2 the filling.
- 20Place the second cake layer, pecan side up, over the filling; spread with the remaining filling.
- 21Place the third cake layer, pecan side up, on top of the filling.
- 22Serve with whipped cream; store covered in the refrigerator.
- 23Bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Candy Kitchen Pecan Pie Cake
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 823.2
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 164.4 mg
- Sodium 351.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 55.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g