Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Oh, so good, but not too sweet. This was given to me yesterday at my Beauty Salon. (do we still call it that?) I had everything at home and made it for a group at my house today. It was A HIT!. I have no idea where it came from, but I'm glad it found me. :-) Maybe you will feel the same!
- 1 (18 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1 (9 1/2 ounce) package Kraft caramels
- 1 (12 ounce) semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F Dark pans use 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
- Melt unwrapped caramels with condensed milk in microwave. Stirring several times.
- Pour cake mix into mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, water.Beat on low speeed just until combined, then on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour HALF the batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour the caramel mixture over the top.
- Now pour the rest of the batter over this and return to oven for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and while still hot sprinkle the mini choc. chips all over the top. Let cool and enjoy! This is moist, guey and yummy!
- I refrigerated mine over night, but brought to room temperature before serving.
Made this for a family dinner and it was a hit with everyone. The German chocolate cake mix cut down the sweet taste just enough and it was a good counterbalance to the gooey center. I could not find plain caramel candies so I subbed Dove Chocolate Caramel candy which worked fine...a bit more chocolaty. The store didn't have mini chips so used regular which were fine. I'm sure the mini's would have melted more completely, but no one complained. It is very gooey and rich. Next time I will use fat free condensed if they have it to cut down some of the fat. This one is a keeper for us! Thanks so much for a great dessert that is so easy to put together.
I loved this recipee,it had a great taste. The only thing I did different was used regular condensed milk instead of fat free.