Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
The yogurt is the secret ingredient in this meatloaf! You can use a mixture of ground beef, veal and pork if desired. To save time you can saute the mushroom/onion mixture a day in advance and refrigerate. Also chili sauce or ketchup can be spread on top of the meatloaf before baking. For Italian-style breadcrumbs see Kittencal's Seasoned Dry Italian Breadcrumbs, if you are using this recipe for breadcrumbs reduce the Parmesan cheese to 1/4 cup and omit the thyme.
- 4 tablespoons butter (can use less butter if desired)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to heat level, we like spicy so use lots!)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup or 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon season salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a skillet melt butter over medium heat, add in mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme and if using, the chili flakes; saute for about 6 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in all remaining ingredients; using clean hands mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture into the prepared loaf pan, then place the onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Using 2 forks remove the meatloaf from the pan.
- Let rest 5-7 minutes before slicing.
This recipe was awesome!!! I reduced the cheese to 4 oz as well. I also added sliced lemons & roma tomatoes on top for extra garnish/flavor. The lemon on top is amazing!! My husband usually drenches his meatloaf with ketchup but he didn't add one drop to this meatloaf and he said it had so much flavor there wasn't any need to add ketchup.
This was wonderful....full of flavor. I cut the cheese to 4 oz. (I used provolone, that's what I had), used dried oregano instead of thyme, otherwise followed the recipe. Very moist & flavorful. Thanks for the post!!!
No shocker here - another winner from Kitten! DH and I love meatloaf and I'm forever trying new recipes. This rates right at the top. DH cannot tolerate mushrooms in any form, so I did have to omit those, but I added an additional 1/4 lb. ground beef and a bit more parmesan and breadcrumbs. I used chili sauce and did add a bit (not too much) chili sauce on top before I baked. I agree w/ a previous reviewer - this formed the most delicious sort of crispy exterior that I crave - had no problems slicing either. Served with au gratins and green beans. Will be made time and time again here!