1/6 Photos of The Cadillac of Meatloaf
1 hr 15 mins
The yogurt is the secret ingredient in this meatloaf! You can use a mixture of ground beef, veal and pork if desired. To save time you can saute the mushroom/onion mixture a day in advance and refrigerate. Also chili sauce or ketchup can be spread on top of the meatloaf before baking. For Italian-style breadcrumbs see Kittencal's Seasoned Dry Italian Breadcrumbs, if you are using this recipe for breadcrumbs reduce the Parmesan cheese to 1/4 cup and omit the thyme.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter (can use less butter if desired)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to heat level, we like spicy so use lots!)
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ketchup or 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon season salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper (or to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- 3In a skillet melt butter over medium heat, add in mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme and if using, the chili flakes; saute for about 6 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.
- 4Add in all remaining ingredients; using clean hands mix thoroughly.
- 5Place mixture into the prepared loaf pan, then place the onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- 6Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- 7Using 2 forks remove the meatloaf from the pan.
- 8Let rest 5-7 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Cadillac of Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.9
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.7 mg
- Sodium 1095.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 38.2 g