Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
this is a recipe from a Italian cafe in the Bronx...rec'd this in 1977....give it a try...
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham wafers, crushed (I use animal cookies)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups seived cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 2⁄3 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk (whole)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- fresh fruit, of choice or serve plain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Melt butter and combine with crumbs, press into the cake pan bottom.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese and cottage cheese, vanilla, salt, egg yolks, milk, flour and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, and add in the sugar, continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Fold peaked whites into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon into crust and place in oven.
- Bake 60 minutes or until set.
- Remove and let set at room temp until well cooled.
- Cover and chill well.
- Serve with fresh fruit sliced.
I made this for my last class at school, last Thursday, at my students' request to 'bring a cheesecake'. I'm glad I chose this one. Came together in a snap and was creamy, with that 'melt-in-your-mouth' quality I look for in a cheesecake. Topped with sour cherry preserves and it was perfection.