This is a collaboration of the team "8 Broads and a Brawn Bonn" for the 'Zaar World Tour II Pizza Challenge. If you like leftover cold pizza in the morning you might like this even better.
- 1 (13 ounce) containerpillsbury prepared pizza crust
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) box Stove Top stuffing mix (we used sage flavored)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Spread pizza dough into a pizza pan or cookie sheet and press up the sides. Bake according to package directions.
- Prepare ingredients so they are ready to assemble into a pizza.
- Cook the sausage, bacon, and dice the Canadian Bacon.
- Chop the onion.
- Grate 3 cups of Cheddar cheese.
- Slightly beat the eggs with the seasoning packet from the Stove Top and soak in the stuffing mix to soften a bit. Then scramble the mixture til eggs are set.
- To make the gravy/sauce:.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- When it is sizzling, add the flour and whisk well until there are no dry clumps.
- Let this gently bubble for 2 minutes or so, but do NOT let it begin to brown. This will remove the starchy taste from the flour.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour in the milk and cream and whisk very well til smooth.
- Return to burner and heat on medium until it is thick. (It will be much thicker than what you would ordinarily make a gravy to be. But it needs to be in order to sit on top of the crust instead of getting absorbed into it).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. (keep in mind that there are a lot of salty ingredients in a pizza so use a light hand when salting).
- ---------------------------------------Assemble the pizza:.
- Spread 1 cup gravy/sauce mixture on prepared crust.
- Sprinkle one cup cheddar cheese on top of gravy.
- Next evenly distribute egg/stuffing mixture.
- Spread another cup of gravy over eggs.
- Sprinkle Canadian bacon, pork sausage, and bacon next.
- Sprinkle remaining two cups of cheddar.
- Top with chopped green onions and chopped basil and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
I just tried this for Sunday brunch and it was fantastic! I made very few changes, but did spice it up with some jalapenos, red onions and hot sauce. It will definitely be added to the Chef House cookbook!
The Bonn and his Broads ROCK!!! I think this has to be the best breakfast pizza I've ever made. The gravy totally set it apart from all the rest I've tried. Simply fabulous! This was the last recipe I made for the ZWT, and I believe it's my favorite out of all of them.
I really tried to like this recipe, but the traditional sage flavored stove top stuffing threw everthing else off for us, flavor wise. I would have liked a more egg texture, even though I used 7 eggs instead of the 5 called for. Maybe using half of the stuffing mix would have helped. I would also suggest that you bake it longer than the stated 15-20 minutes.