Sooz Cooks's Note:
This bread is everything Ree says and MORE! Ree says this about THE Bread "Whenever I have a friend or family member over for dinner, they will ask the following question: “Are you making The Bread?” And I always smile and say: “Yes. I am making The Bread.” I smile because it’s a foregone conclusion that I will be making The Bread. I smile because The Bread is so darn delicious and no one who tastes it can believe it contains only two ingredients. I smile because it’s probably the easiest, simplest, effortless thing I make. I smile. Because butter is involved. " You can find her actual recipe and pictures at: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/the-bread/ Some of Ree's comments are in (parentheses) in the Directions below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup salted butter, Softened
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Spread one stick of softened butter on each half of the loaf (That’s one stick per half loaf. Yes, you read that right. The idea here is that every speck of the surface of the bread needs to be coated.).
- 3Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until butter is melted and starting to soak into the bread.
- 4Crank on broiler and broil bread for 3 to 5 minutes, watching the whole time. Remove when butter has started to brown and blacken. Don’t under-broil it! The flavor really kicks in when the butter’s color changes (The goal here is to broil the bread to the point that the butter becomes very dark brown and, in just a few areas, begins to burn. When that happens, the flavor shows up. If you don’t take it to the next level, it will just be buttered, warm bread. Which is fine, and all…but it’s not The Bread).
- 5Slice into strips and serve immediately (When I serve this, I slice it on a cutting board into relatively thin (because it’s so rich) strips).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Bread (Ree Drummond/ Pioneer Woman)
Serving Size: 1 (1251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2870.4
- Calories from Fat 1779
- Total Fat 197.7 g
- Saturated Fat 119.5 g
- Cholesterol 488.0 mg
- Sodium 4069.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 235.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 41.8 g