Recipe by bmxmama
This recipe is a recipe my mom got years ago from a friend of hers. I just found the recipe after searching for it for months on end and I just about tripped over it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have over the years. *All cooking times are approximate.*
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I added both the optional pepper and cheese. It is a good bread and a recipe I think I will have fun playing with . I had to knead in an extra 1/2 -3/4 of a cup of flour. It is very heavy and dense and just a little to yeasty tasting for us. I do think it will be great toasted for breakfast. It was my first time making a bread this way. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast (2 T. if you use bulk)
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl combine sugar, salt, pepper, yeast and 2 cups of flour.
- Heat milk and butter until about 120-130 degrees.
- With mixer gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients.
- Increase mixer speed to medium for 2 minutes.
- Beat in one egg at a time and 1/2 cup of flour to make thick batter.
- Continue to beat for another 2 minutes.
- With a spoon stir in cheese and add 1 1/2 cup of flour until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Work in last 1/2 cup of flour during the kneading if needed.
- Shape dough and let rise about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape any way you want to and place on greased cookie sheet and let rise.
- Bake at 375°F 12-15 minutes.