2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Ann Marie F's Note:
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar on February 13, 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken (I can get packages of backs, necks, legs, etc. you know that this is the more frugal way.) or 3 1/2 lbs chicken parts (I can get packages of backs, necks, legs, etc. you know that this is the more frugal way.)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 carrots, halved (med.-sized)
- 2 onions, halved (med.-sized)
- 2 stalks celery, halved (use leaves,too)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Once you've made the basic chicken soup below, you divide the broth & meat, then add different ingredients to get endless combinations.
- 2Make the basic chicken soup & freeze in portioned containers; then add the ingredients for individual recipes below to make a quick, tasty soup on a busy night. Bring all ingredients just to boil in large pot. Skim off foam & discard.
- 3Reduce heat & simmer, uncovered, 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is very tender.
- 4Strain liquid, cool & refrigerate so the fat can be removed easily.
- 5Let the meat cool until it can be handled.
- 6Remove meat from bones.
- 7Discard bones.
- 8Skim fat from broth; freeze up to 6 mos. & use to make soups below: (Note: makes about 12 cup broth & 4 cup meat) For every 4 servings, heat 6 cups chicken broth.
- 9Stir in ingredients from recipe. Cook, stirring, until done. Add 2 cup shredded cooked chicken & heat through:.
- 10North Boston: 2 (15 oz.) cans drained & rinsed white beans, 1 (8 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 11South Miami: 2 (15 oz.) cans drained & rinsed black beans, 1/2 cup long grain white rice, 3 cup cubed winter squash, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme. Serve with lemon wedges.
- 12New Orleans: 1 (9 oz.) pkg. frozen cut okra, 1 (15 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, 1 (17 oz.) can whole kernel corn, 1/2 cup long grain white rice, 1 teaspoons dried thyme. Top with crumbled crisp bacon.
- 13Santa Fe: 4 cup diced zucchini, 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 2 (15 oz.) cans drained & rinsed chick peas, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin. Serve sprinkled with crushed taco chips.
- 14San Francisco: 3 cup fine egg noodles, 2 cup frozen green peas, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger. Just before serving, whisk in 1 beaten egg. Sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- 15Milwaukee: 4 cup cubed raw potatoes, 4 cup shredded cabbage, 1/2 cup diced smoked sausage, 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds. Serve sprinkled with chopped celery leaves & a little vinegar.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Bottomless Chicken Soup Pot
Serving Size: 1 (4876 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.5
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.4 mg
- Sodium 624.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 25.1 g