Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar on February 13, 2005.
Make and share this The Bottomless Chicken Soup Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken (I can get packages of backs, necks, legs, etc. you know that this is the more frugal way.) or 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts (I can get packages of backs, necks, legs, etc. you know that this is the more frugal way.)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 carrots, halved (med.-sized)
- 2 onions, halved (med.-sized)
- 2 stalks celery, halved (use leaves,too)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Once you've made the basic chicken soup below, you divide the broth & meat, then add different ingredients to get endless combinations.
- Make the basic chicken soup & freeze in portioned containers; then add the ingredients for individual recipes below to make a quick, tasty soup on a busy night. Bring all ingredients just to boil in large pot. Skim off foam & discard.
- Reduce heat & simmer, uncovered, 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is very tender.
- Strain liquid, cool & refrigerate so the fat can be removed easily.
- Let the meat cool until it can be handled.
- Remove meat from bones.
- Discard bones.
- Skim fat from broth; freeze up to 6 mos. & use to make soups below: (Note: makes about 12 cup broth & 4 cup meat) For every 4 servings, heat 6 cups chicken broth.
- Stir in ingredients from recipe. Cook, stirring, until done. Add 2 cup shredded cooked chicken & heat through:.
- North Boston: 2 (15 oz.) cans drained & rinsed white beans, 1 (8 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
- South Miami: 2 (15 oz.) cans drained & rinsed black beans, 1/2 cup long grain white rice, 3 cup cubed winter squash, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme. Serve with lemon wedges.
- New Orleans: 1 (9 oz.) pkg. frozen cut okra, 1 (15 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, 1 (17 oz.) can whole kernel corn, 1/2 cup long grain white rice, 1 teaspoons dried thyme. Top with crumbled crisp bacon.
- Santa Fe: 4 cup diced zucchini, 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 2 (15 oz.) cans drained & rinsed chick peas, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin. Serve sprinkled with crushed taco chips.
- San Francisco: 3 cup fine egg noodles, 2 cup frozen green peas, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger. Just before serving, whisk in 1 beaten egg. Sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- Milwaukee: 4 cup cubed raw potatoes, 4 cup shredded cabbage, 1/2 cup diced smoked sausage, 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds. Serve sprinkled with chopped celery leaves & a little vinegar.