Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This riff on the sausage/egg casserole was born tonight and caused us to fall off our chairs. Caught lightning in a bottle with this so will notate exactly what I did. NOTE: there are many recipes with a number of these basic ingredients. Since there were a few new elements, significantly varied portions and particular techniques used, I'm listing it as a separate recipe.
- 5 eggs
- 340.19 g mild Italian sausage
- 158.51 ml skim milk
- 78.07 ml half-and-half cream
- 2 piece brownberry's oatnut bread, cubed (lightly toasted)
- 0 large white onion, chopped
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, crushed in a press
- 4-6 leaf fresh basil
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh crushed black pepper
- 1.62 ml dried mustard
- -preheat oven to 360.
- two parts to this prep; the sausage mix prep and the egg mix prep.
- THE SAUSAGE MIX.
- -break sausage into small pieces and begin to brown in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, never more than medium heat.
- -after about five minutes, push sausage to one side.
- -add chopped onion and crushed garlic to other side of pan; add basil leaves, torn into small, dime-size pieces; place this side of the pan directly over the heat to start the onions on their way. Keep it moving and keep heat low so the garlic doesn't burn.
- -add some fresh crushed black pepper and dashes of kosher salt.
- -once onions start to soften and brown a bit, mix in with sausage.
- -continue to mix and modulate heat from medium to low, careful not to burn the meat, until sausage is brown. Turn off heat.
- THE EGG MIX.
- -beat the five eggs.
- -add milk and half & half.
- -add lightly toasted and cubed Brownberry's Oatnut bread [if you don't have this, what you should know is it's full-bodied and has a slight sweetness, as well as the obvious texture from, well -- oats and nuts.this is a major flavor/texture secret in the final tasting].
- -add 2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- -add dried mustard and some more pepper.
- -2tsp of olive oil rubbed into bottom/sides of 2 inch deep/9 inch diameter ceramic baking dish.
- -sausage mixture into bottom of dish.
- -add egg mixture over the top.
- -spread remaining 1/3 cup cheddar cheese over the top.
- -more crushed black pepper and and couple dashes of paprika dusted over the top.
- ---***** I forgot to add a little baking powder to this to keep the egg fluffy. Will add a teaspoon next time******.
- -45 minutes at 360 degrees, fork test in center comes out clean.
- -let set for 5 minutes and serve!
- You're welcome!