Recipe by Reefbubbles
This recipe was given to me 22 years ago. A friend made this up and her husband was so impressed He told her it was "the bomb", and it stuck. It's super simple and may not sound like anything super impressive but it is. It is my staple, always asked to bring to parties. Feeds a large group. Layer as directed, the chocolate pudding moistens the cake perfectly. You can add some chocolate chips to the cake batter. But on the other hand you can make this recipe low fat by using 1 egg and cut some of the oil and use apple sauce instead. Use lite whip cream and sugar/fat free pudding.
Top Review by Maureen in MA
This dessert is awesome! Made it for a Christmas gathering and it was a BIG hit! Guests asked for the recipe, and many took some home. Both adults and young children loved it! Hubby and I loved it, too! Thanks for sharing!
- 2 (8 ounce) containers Cool Whip
- 2 (4 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box fudge cake mix, I use Duncan Hines
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups skim milk
- 8 ounces Heath candy bars (toffee bars)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cake according to directions using the water, eggs and oil listed in the ingredients above in 2- 8 inch round pans.
- After cakes have cooled, place 1 in the bottom of a very large (preferably clear) glass bowl or trifle bowl.
- Mix 1 box of pudding (do 1 box at a time) with 2 of the cups of milk. (I usually cut a couple of tablespoons of milk from each box to assure that it sets up properly). Pour over the cake in bottom of the bowl.
- Spread 1 container of cool whip over pudding layer.
- Place second cake on whip cream.
- Mix second box of pudding and pour over the cake.
- Spread second container of cool whip over pudding.
- Break heath bar ( freezing first helps) and sprinkle evenly over top (can substitute mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings).