Recipe by staceyelee
This is one of the many recipes from my grandmothers cookbook. She passed away in May of 2005 and I am recording her wonderful recipes for my family and the many generations that will follow. I hope you enjoy her recipes as much as we do. I have not made each one yet-so cooking time and servings may vary. Blessings from FOURMRANCHWIFE in Texas This one was from a newspaper clipping Nanny had saved- Black Eyed Pea is a restuarant in the South.
- 5 lbs medium yellow squash
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 -6 whole wheat rolls, torn into bits (rumor is the Black Eye Pea uses its whole wheat rolls)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash and onion in pieces, boil together, then reduce heat until tender.
- Drain & mash squash some.
- Combine squash,onion, eggs, bread bits, butter,sugar, salt .
- Put into a 3 quart dish that has been oiled.
- Bake at 350 until lightly browned.
- Sometimes I toss in some velveeta - when the kids were small they liked it with the cheese.