Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of the many recipes from my grandmothers cookbook. She passed away in May of 2005 and I am recording her wonderful recipes for my family and the many generations that will follow. I hope you enjoy her recipes as much as we do. I have not made each one yet-so cooking time and servings may vary. Blessings from FOURMRANCHWIFE in Texas This one was from a newspaper clipping Nanny had saved- Black Eyed Pea is a restuarant in the South.
- Cut squash and onion in pieces, boil together, then reduce heat until tender.
- Drain & mash squash some.
- Combine squash,onion, eggs, bread bits, butter,sugar, salt .
- Put into a 3 quart dish that has been oiled.
- Bake at 350 until lightly browned.
- Sometimes I toss in some velveeta - when the kids were small they liked it with the cheese.
There is a Black-Eyed Pea near where I used to work and I loved this! I miss it but now I can make it at home! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Great casserole! Nice way to 'hide' the veggie for those picky ones. This had lots of great flavor and was so easy to make. Reheats like a dream too! Next time I will make my squash pieces larger- trying to please the picky ones again - and I will drain my squash better- it was as crazy night! The cheese addition sounds really yummy too but it is amazing as is. Great recipe Stacy! Thanks a million! I miss having a Black Eye Pea close by.