Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a Texas State Fair Winning recipe. Submitted by Vernie Bailey
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped chocolate piece
- Cream butter sugar and cocoa. Add egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt, add to mixture.
- Fold in nuts and chocolate pieces.
- Drop by Tbs. onto greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 375-400 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
The cookies taste good, but not what I was expecting. They are not "big" in size, but rather flavor. I used generous scoops of dough and after watching the first pan was able to fit 15 on a half sheet pan. They don't spread much, but are thick. I did use french vanilla & liked the addition. The amount of cocoa colors the dough, but doesn't impart much of a chocolatey taste. Made for Pick A Chef Fall '09.