Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This sammich is a meal...big daddy ! perfect for a lazy sunday watchin' a ball game. Measurements are to taste.
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, split lengthwise
- 1⁄4 lb smoked turkey (thinly sliced)
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 medium maui onions (minced) or 1⁄2 medium sweet onion (minced)
- 2 ounces provolone cheese (thinly sliced) or 2 ounces swiss cheese (thinly sliced)
- 1 roma tomatoes (thinly sliced) or 1⁄2 beefsteak tomato (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- dried basil leaves
- black pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Slice tomatoes as thin as possible, generously grind pepper over the top and put into fridge to keep cool.
- In a skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until crisp-tender. (I will usually start to build the sandwich while garlic and onions are cookin').
- Remove garlic onion mixture from skillet, reserving the oil.
- Layer the turkey first followed by the Bacon then pour the garlic & onion mixture over the turkey and bacon on the bottom half of French bread, drizzle oil mixture lightly over the top and then sprinkle with basil.
- Top with cheese and remaining half of bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes & cheese is melted.
- unwrap and remove bottom slice of bread (upside down) add the cool, peppered sliced tomatoes, close it up and eat that bird!
Good sandwich. I used a full Italian loaf and increased the other ingredients accordingly. Thanks for posting!