Recipe by The Dunbar Chef
A gooey chocolate cake that is extremely sweet with a tangy apricot topping.
- 9 ounces high quality chocolate
- 6 ounces butter
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 7 ounces ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- apricot jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 180°C.
- Line standard circle cake tin with grease proof paper (sides and bottom).
- Melt 6oz of the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water.
- Cream 4oz of butter with the sugar.
- Stir in the ground almonds, egg yolks and melted chocolate.
- Beat together thoroughly.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and then fold into the chocolate mix.
- Pour into a regular sized circular cake tin and bake at 180°C for 50 – 55 minutes. (The cake should brown and have the look of a regular sponge but will not really rise).
- Leave to cool.
- Once cool spread with a generous layer of apricot jam.
- Melt the remaining chocolate(3oz) and butter(2oz)in a bowl (over boiling water).
- When chocolate and butter is melted spread over top of cake (on top of apricot jam) and let in run down the side.