Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A healthier rendition of the popular Indian dish, that doesn't use gobs of butter and tons of heavy cream. Adapted from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (19 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 whole rotisserie-cooked chicken, skin removed and meat cut up
- 1⁄3 cup light cream (5%)
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream or 1⁄4 cup light plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- hot cooked basmati rice (optional)
- Melt butter in a deep, 10-inch skillet over medium heat; add onions and garlic; cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender - about five minutes.
- Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric and cinnamon; cook one more minute.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt and pepper; reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cut-up chicken, cream and sour cream; simmer, uncovered, for five more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro; serve over hot basmati rice, if desired.
We enjoyed this dish very much; however, it wasn't exactly like the butter chicken we are accustomed to. I think next time I would use pureed tomatoes vs. diced and less onions. I used Indian chili powder which is extremely hot so I definitely scaled it back to suit our tastes. While it would up the calories, etc., I think I would also add a bit more cream as well. I will definitely try this dish again! Made for ZWT-8-India.
I tried this recipe last night. It was so easy and so tasty! What a great version of one of my favorite Indian dishes. I did not change anything except adding an extra hot chili pepper. The sauce was just a bit thick but the flavor was fantastic. Definitely a keeper! I just love the recipes provided by Janet & Greta. I miss the TV show so much!
A very tasty dish. I measured out most of the ingredients in the morning, so that it was quick to put together. I also added some cubed potatoes to lighten up the protein load in this dish, reducing the amount of the chicken. Perhaps a little more spice next time.