1/12 Photos of The Better Butter Chicken
A healthier rendition of the popular Indian dish, that doesn't use gobs of butter and tons of heavy cream. Adapted from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (19 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 whole rotisserie-cooked chicken, skin removed and meat cut up
- 1/3 cup light cream (5%)
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or 1/4 cup light plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- hot cooked basmati rice (optional)
- 1Melt butter in a deep, 10-inch skillet over medium heat; add onions and garlic; cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender - about five minutes.
- 2Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric and cinnamon; cook one more minute.
- 3Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt and pepper; reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add cut-up chicken, cream and sour cream; simmer, uncovered, for five more minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in cilantro; serve over hot basmati rice, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Better Butter Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.2
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 132.0 mg
- Sodium 590.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 36.1 g