Recipe by my kid's mom
Yummiest and easiest whole chicken in a crock pot. From www.100daysofrealfood.com.
Top Review by bidness44
Delicious! Ours just fell apart, was tender and moist. Served with potato patties (made from leftover mashed potatoes) and braised greens. When we make this, we use the stock as a light gravy at another meal. Strain, refrigerate it, remove most of the fat, heat in a saucepan as a "jus" or if you're cooking potatoes, add some of the starchy potato water to slightly thicken. Delicious on mashed potatoes and leftover chicken. I've made this recipe with chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken and it was great! I've also used 1/2 thyme and 1/2 crushed dried rosemary, which I love, and that was a good combo we'll do again.<br/><br/>One hint...use onion and add some potatoes and perhaps carrots in the bottom of your crockpot to elevate the chicken higher, last time we used a whole chicken, it kind of sunk into the gathering broth, was great tho!. <br/><br/>This recipe is a definite keeper. In our house, if a recipe gets taped inside the cabinet door, it's in our hall of fame...I added this one the very first time I made it. So, so good.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (red)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 large chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
- Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
- Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
- Cook for 4 – 5 hours on high (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don’t forget to make your homemade stock with the leftover bones!